- Place your baby on the back to sleep, in a cot in a room with you
- Do not smoke in pregnancy or let anyone smoke in the same room as your baby
- Do not share a bed with your baby if you have been drinking alcohol, if you take drugs or if you are a smoker
- Never sleep with your baby on a sofa or armchair
- Do not let your baby get too hot. Make sure their head is not covered. There room should be no hotter than 18c ( get a room thermometer)
- Place your baby with their feet to the foot of the cot, to prevent them wriggling down under the covers.
- Settling your baby to sleep with a dummy can reduce the chance of cot death –If you are breastfeeding wait till you baby is about 2-4 weeks and breastfeeding is well established.
For more information
FSID – Advice